In honor of our thirteenth wedding anniversary I thought I’d share 13 things I have learned from my husband.
1. Despite my belief to the contrary, I am not always right.
2. Anything worth having is worth fighting for.
3. Everyone’s journey is different. Just because someone else’s story is different than ours doesn’t make it better.
4. Forgiveness is a beautiful thing. Bitterness is not.
5. I’m not perfect so why should I expect anyone else to be?
6. Marriage is a roller coaster but the ups last much longer than the downs. And they’re more fun.
7. Instant gratification is not all it’s cracked up to be. Waiting & working for it is much more satisfying. (I’m talking about finances, people. Get your minds out of the gutter!)
8. Vikes rule.
9. Quitting is not an option.
10. Just because we disagree doesn’t mean one of us has to be wrong.
11. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
12. Balance is key. My weaknesses are your strengths & I think the opposite is also true.
13. Love isn’t what you see on TV or in the movies. It’s hard work. It’s messy. It’s complicated. It’s not what you expected…it’s so much more. It pushes you to your limits. It makes you question all you thought you knew to be true. It makes you examine yourself right down to the core of your soul. It forces you to be a better person. It makes you who God meant you to be.
It has been a long, hard road but it has been our road. It might not be a perfect life but it’s our life & I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I understand now why God gave you to me and I can only hope & pray that you feel the same way. I wouldn’t be who I am today without you.
Here’s to the last 13 years and to the next 30×3 years!
(Courtesy of Chris Lommel Photography)
I love you, Mr. Johnson-